Wednesday, November 17, 2010

FALL ON YOUR KNEES

I've had this image of Mary and Jesus that I printed on my art desk for a long time.  I was thinking I wanted to paint it at some point and didn't know when.  I just thought It was so beautiful...the glow that was on the faces of Mary and the angels as they looked at baby Jesus.  So, here is the beginning...

The song that kept going through my head the whole time I was painting it...over and over...was Oh Holy Night.  And so after painting it, and realizing there was a lot of empty space, especially above them...I thought if I could incorporate that song somehow into the painting, that would be cool.  So I carved a verse into gel medium and after it dried, painted the words.

Here are some close-ups...



and here is the finished piece...I ended up putting more gel medium which I let dry clear onto the sides as well to balance out the texture.

To me, this song is one of the most moving.  Every year, when I hear it sung well...with the crescendo of "fall on your knees, hear the angels voices"  I get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.  It's so powerful and you can just imagine...

7 comments:

Julia Kulish said...

This is really beautiful. It is obvious that the subject is something very dear to you - it really comes across. Nice job

Unknown said...

Love this one Lori. It really is beautiful, love the softness of it. It's amazing to see the process. How long does it take from start to finish?
♥Jenny

Kerri said...

yes- i love that song too- and now i'll think of your painting when i hear it and like it even more if that's possible!

rusted wings said...

That song is my favorite Christmas carol...and such a lovely painting to go with it!! Once again, so beautiful Lori!!!

Anonymous said...

oh, i totally agree with you on the power of this song. i connect with it emotionally too. and your painting! it's breathtaking...wow! i have so much to learn, so far to go! :) thank you for being so inspirational! ;) jan

Sonya McCllough Lockridge said...

just clicking by to let U know how Thankful I am for U!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

the work is GLORIOUS! From the first snapshot I could feel the passion coming through...